Monday, March 21, 2016

Half Year Old Birthday

Like most kids, Olivia is obsessed with birthdays - especially her own.  She marks the year by holidays and birthdays.   And, in my family, birthdays are a big deal so pretty much her whole life has been filled birthday celebrations for various family members.   So, when 2016 started and she found out that my birthday was in March and hers wasn't until September, she was pretty disappointed FURIOUS.  I quickly remembered that her half-birthday was in March and mentioned that to her.  Well, she took that one and ran with it.  Her little steel-trap memory locked that one away and has been looking forward to March 20 ever since Christmas ended.  For the past week, she has been telling everyone she sees that March 20 is her "half-year-old birthday."

We typically do a little something to celebrate but I've tried to refrain from doing anything too over-the-top.  This year I found out that Mary Poppins was coming to town and happened to be on her half-birthday so I thought that would be a fun thing to do.

And, I intended to stop there with the treats.  But, then Miss O discovered the coveted American Girl doll.  I had some reservations about getting her one, especially for a half-birthday.  It just seemed kind of excessive.  But then we had some tough times at Casa Dean I thought - being a grown up is difficult.  It's full of hard decisions and outcomes that don't make sense.  Sometimes all the research, effort, time, money and hope in the world can't change a situation.  So, if I can buy my girl a new dress and a new baby and cause her to squeal with joy, then that is what I want to do.  At four-and-a-half, there are some things that I may not be able to give her.  But a baby doll, I can do that.  So on a day at our house that may otherwise have been filled with sadness, these little squeals of joy lifted our hearts and made us take stock of this little blessing that we got four an a half years ago.


Meet baby Ella.

So, Olivia, Matt, baby Ella and I enjoyed Mary Poppins and then met Mimi & Grandpa for dinner.


At four-and-a-half, Olivia lights up any room she goes into, makes friends with ease, is fiercely loyal, hilariously funny, brave, strong, smart, silly and kind.  I marvel at her everyday and don't know what I did to be lucky enough to be her mommy, but I hope she knows that I don't take it for granted.  This little one fills our hearts with joy and we are so thankful for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment