Monday, February 25, 2013

Movin' On Up Monday


Matt is out of town again this week.  I always hate it when he's gone, but I have been dreading this particular Monday all weekend because today Olivia officially transferred to Movement II, the next class at her daycare.

As you may remember, Olivia had a very hard transition with move into Movement I.  We had several weeks of some very traumatizing (for me at least!) crying.  So, when the time came for this move, her daycare did all they could to ease the transition.  By way of background, a "typical" transition at Olivia's school is that you visit your new class for longer and longer periods of time over a 1 week period, and then you officially start in your new class the following Monday.  However, given Olivia's aversion to new things (can't imagine where she gets that from...), she had a THREE week transition.

So, today was the first official day in her new class.  I summoned my best "happy face" as we marched into the school.  Right before we got to her hallway, I told her we were going to see Miss Virginia this morning (her new teacher).  She looked at me, pouted her lip, raised her arms for me to pick her up, and burst into tears.  Good times.  I stayed in her new class for about 20 minutes and finally calmed her down.  At some point I realized that I had to rip the band-aid off and just leave.  So I gave her a kiss, handed her to Miss Virginia and then left.  I stood outside the room and after about 2 minutes she stopped crying, so I left.

I must have looked worried myself because by the time I got to work, I had these pictures on my phone along with the following text: "She's fine.  Don't worry.  Miss Virginia :)"

Thank goodness for cell phones and thank goodness for Miss Virginia!  I got another picture a couple hours later after gymnastics.

This evening, I left work a little early and was expecting the worst.  But when I got the room and peeked in the window I saw her sitting at the "kitchen" stirring the heck out of a cup of tea!  I opened the door and she ran over to me, gave me a hug and kiss and then ran to give each of her teachers a hug and kiss goodbye.  Success!

We are really excited about this new class and all she will learn and experience.  This class is definitely more toddler than baby....she has her own "locker!"

She will also go to Spanish class, take gymnastics, and have a special art class and music class.  They focus on language, flash cards and "introducing" potty training.  I think she will love it.

And.....we got some other exciting news today....I applied for a part-time schedule at my work that was approved today.  I will be back to the schedule I had after maternity leave (Mon-Thurs from 9-4:30).  I am SO excited to have Fridays with Olivia again and I am already planning lots of fun things for us! 

We finished the day with a Face Time call with daddy and went to bed. Pretty good for a Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment