Monday, September 9, 2013

Toddler 1

It is time for another transition at Olivia's school -- to Toddler 1.  This is the first time that Olivia has been old enough to really understand what was happening.  Knowing her aversion to change, the director of the school warned me about a month ago that Olivia would be moving after Labor Day and that her BFF, Cate, would be going with her.  We were all hoping that having a friend would ease the pain.

The first week is just a "transition" week -- she spends a few hours in her new class everyday.  The first day she came home just giddy about the fun she had.  The second day the enthusiasm was a little less.  By the third day, her nerves got the better of her and she threw up because she got so upset.

So....I was dreading today, knowing that she would spend the entire day in her new class.  I brought up the topic last night and she quickly dismissed me.  Then again this morning before school I tried to talk to her about it -- she burst into tears.

So we drove to school and she stood in front of Toddler 1 classroom for about a minute, gripping my leg and holding back tears.  I didn't push her, hoping she'd find her courage and go in on her own.  Luckily, her friend Emma showed up (she transitioned a few weeks prior) and her sweet dad suggested Emma help Olivia find breakfast.  Bless that Emma!  Olivia followed her in, put out her placemat and silverware (a new trick in Toddler 1) and sat down, happily eating fruit and cereal.  As I put away her lunch and sheets, I kept waiting for the meltdown.  But it never came!  NOT. ONE. TEAR.  I told her my usual good-by, she hugged and kissed me, and I left.  I called mid-day to check on her and happily learned she was doing great.

When I came to pick her up, she and Cate were playing with their babies and as soon as she saw me, she rushed to me shouting "I painted mommy!  Watch me paint!"  And then she took me around the room showing me the "work" (i.e. puzzles, blocks, etc) and their class pet (a fish) who Olivia calls Coach but her teachers tell me is really named Toro.  Not sure about that one.

To celebrate her first day, we took her to her favorite restaurant, Zoe's, for dinner.  She ordered her usual (chicken and rice).  As usual, she demanded to eat her rice herself, but instead of picking up the food with her hand, she actually took the spoon and carefully scooped up the rice and slowly put it in her mouth.  She looked at me, shook her head, and said "I don't use my hands."
I am guessing that was today's lesson in Toddler 1.  If this is a foreshadowing of what is to come, then I think our baby is growing up and we couldn't be happier!

1 comment:

  1. Omg the part about her throwing up because she was so nervous made my heart break!! Ahh! So glad she had such a great first day, but seriously what is up with these babies growing up before our eyes?!?!

    ReplyDelete