Monday, June 20, 2016

Fathers Day 2016

I hope Matt would agree that we had a special and nice Father's Day 2016.  Olivia was really excited about it and we basically celebrated him the entire weekend!

On Friday, she and Matt went to Dads and Donuts at her school and then she stayed for Splash Day.


She made him this cute little picture frame for his present.

One funny story - the night before, Olivia was very clear with us that Matt could have as many donuts as he wanted but she was only going to have one.  She told us at least twice the night before and then reminded him again in the morning.  We started to get a little worried that she was already worrying about weight/her body.  Nope, not so much.  Turns out her smart teachers implemented the 1 donut/kid rule to try and minimize the inevitable sugar high (and subsequent crash) as much as possible.  Smart lady.

Then on Saturday morning she begged me to give him one of his presents.  So he got a card and a new shirt.



And finally, on Sunday it was the big day.  She told me that she was going to wake me up early so we could set up the table.  Apparently this is a thing now.  Whenever its a holiday or we have someone coming over, she insists that we "set up the table" with flowers and other pretty stuff.

She kept good on her promise.  Around 5:30 she came into my room and woke me up, already fully dressed in a frilly dress and necklace.  She then proceeded to judge my outfit (yoga pants, a tank top and a top knot) but I convinced her that it was really about her since it was Father's Day and I promised to get dressed pretty for brunch.  (Note: her opinions about my outfits and fashion are OUT. OF. CONTROL.  And, I can't win really.  If I come out dressed in shorts she will tell me "that's not so good for your legs."  If I wear jeans, she will cry.  If I wear my hair in a bun or ponytail, she will comment on how it looks better when its down.  But, on the rare occasion that I put on a dress and take the time to do my hair, she will then cry because I look too pretty.  For example, on this day we went to brunch with my entire family.  When I came out, she burst into tears because I "looked more beautiful than her."  THIS GIRL!)

Back to Father's Day....we "set up the table" including going to get daddy some donuts.




By 8:00 she could hardly stand it, so I let her wake him up.  He loved his present (new sunglasses) and we headed to brunch at Hugo's.

After nap, we went to see Finding Dory.  Not sure it would have been his first choice on the way to spend the afternoon, but I figured there were worse things than popcorn, a cute movie and a cool theater on a hot Houston day.

I will reserve the gushing and leave it at this -- my love for this guy and all he does for our family is beyond measure.  I am constantly amazed by his strength, devotion, patience and commitment to us.  Jackpot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment