Friday, August 18, 2017

Lazy August

Since Olivia left CHES at the end of July and didn't start Kinkaid until the end of August, she had about 3 weeks at home with baby Eric and I.  I had been looking forward to these weeks all during my pregnancy.  I had dreamy, blissful, unrealistic ideas of Olivia and I reading/crafting/playing during Eric's naps and then enjoying his newborn cuteness while he was awake.  Truth be told, these few weeks were harder than I thought they would be.  Eric had not taken to a schedule as easily as Olivia did, so there were many moments when he needed me at the same time she did.  Which of course resulted in frustration all around.

But, I think its safe to say that her moments of jealousy lasted far shorter than my moments of guilt during those 3 weeks (which really turned into longer thanks to Hurricane Harvey!).  But, we worked our way through each day the best we could.  In the end, I hope that she will think of that time fondly, because I know I will.  Those were the beginning days of our new little family of 4 - a time in which we both learned that there was a new member of the family who had needs that must be tended to, but hopefully Olivia also felt safe and that her needs were tended to as well.

We purposefully kept things quiet and low-key.

We snuggled babies (real and of the doll variety)



One regular outing that became probably my favorite tradition of the summer was our Wednesday mornings at Barnes & Noble. We would go early to Starbucks to get breakfast and then while brother slept in the stroller, Olivia and I would read. She picked a series called Ivy & Bean and I read her the books. I just love sharing that with her, hearing her laugh at funny parts, trying to make the voices so that the story comes to life for her, and seeing her get excited about the next chapter or next book. It was in these moments that the 6 year age difference seemed very real. I literally had a nursing baby in one hand and my daughter reading chapter books in the other. I won't get mushy about B&N, but those days made me painfully aware of how quickly these little babes grow up, while at the same time painfully happy at just how cool they become as they grow up.

My dad told me that this day was Lazy Day (who knew that was a thing?!).  We weren't aware of the holiday at the time, but we still managed to embrace it.  I had high hopes of lots more group naps than actually occurred (we only had this one...sigh....).  But I did manage to document it.  And...yes...this baby smiles in his sleep (all the heart eyes...)

My friend Emily gave them these coordinated Big Sis/Little Brother shirts that Eric was big enough to fit into!

My friend Erica gave me the idea for makeover parties.  Basically I let Olivia wear any make up of mine she wants and then she gets to give me a make-over.  I can't really explain how much she loved it.  After probably the hardest afternoon I've ever had with her, I remembered the idea and proposed it for the following day.  I woke up the next morning, vowing it would be better than the day before.  And, thank goodness for my tender mamma heart, it was.  And I attribute most of her excitement that day to the makeovers!


We spent lots of days in our PJs watching movies


Erica came for a much needed and super lovey visit!


Mimi & Grandpa spent some time with us too!


Because she has to wear uniforms to school (THANK GOODNESS), the only thing she has control over is her hair.  So...we practiced various 'do's.

And, on one of the last days before school started, I found this on the table.  "I love mommy so much that I want to marry her.  She is beautiful.  xoxo, Olivia"  (CUE ALL THE MOMMY TEARS).

So, it wasn't always calm and the model of perfect parenting, but it was real and fun and silly and sweet and I made sure the days always ended with lots of cuddles and love before bedtime.  I just loved my special month with these 2 monkeys!

No comments:

Post a Comment