Friday, September 25, 2015

Family Party

Like we did last year, we planned a separate little family party for Miss O.  I knew that Olivia would be focused on her friends at the dance party, so I wanted a little time where she could also focus on family - having everyone come back to our house afterwards for a more intimate party is such a special treat for Olivia and I know she was thrilled to celebrate with everyone.

While we were waiting for everyone to arrive, we played school and, of course, Olivia was the teacher.  This is one of her new favorite games.  We played it a lot at the lake house a few weeks ago.  I'm not sure if her games mimic her actual school, but someone always ends up sent to the corner.  At the lake house, Yazzie and Naz spent most of class there and at her party, poor Tutu was relegated to the corner as well.


And once everyone arrived, we got down to opening the presents!

She has been super interested in "reading" lately, sounding out letters and pointing out words she knows.  She got some awesome beginning reader books from Popo and Tutu that have already been a huge hit!

"Reading" her birthday card from Popo & Tutu

And, as much as she liked the books, they were old news once she saw her new Ariel costume.  This thing is ADORABLE and fits her like a glove.  It was perfect!  Popo and Tutu did good!

She immediately got naked and put on the new Ariel costume!

And, we even got a present from Great Grandma Geri, Great Aunt Shelly and Great Aunt Suzi - a new Elsa doll that sings.  This was another huge hit.


So, we all got a little show with new Elsa...


And she loved this new dress from Yazzie/Grant, Naz/Tyler

(PS - I am not exaggerating when I say she loves this dress.  Despite the Houston 95 degree weather, she insisted on wearing her new dress + her new boots to school on Monday where she brought in some cookies for all her friends!)



My parents got Olivia a new baby doll - a little boy baby to include in the tribe of baby girls.  She initially said his name was Luca (the same name of a cute little boy in her class).  But the next morning she was talking about him and called him Frisbee.  Harris has a baby boy doll just like that whose name is Fritz and I think she was thinking about Fritz and got confused.  But she thought it was hilarious that she called him Frisbee and now the name has stuck.  So, here is Aunt Yazzie with Elsa and Frisbee.
My parents also got Olivia tickets to see the play "Goodnight Moon" when it comes to Houston in a few weeks.  They gave her a Goodnight Moon puzzle and a card with the details of the play on it.  I read the card to her and she looked at my parents and said "Do you really want me to come to a play with you?"  They said "Yes!"  She said "Fine, I'll go!  And I'm going to wear my Ariel dress!"  Not the most grateful thank you I was hoping for, but I know she will have a blast.

(Note - this birthday - FOUR - has seemed pretty big to me. - with Kindergarten and more "big kid" activities upon us.  So, I have been a little teary about no longer having a "baby."  But, on this night as I tucked her into bed and we talked about the day and all her presents, she said "So Mimi and Grandpa will take me to the play and take me to dinner but then I will come back home, right?"  I assured her that yes, she would definitely be home after.  Similarly, when Popo and Tutu left they mentioned they would see her again in a few weeks when she was going to spend the night at their house in the Woodlands.  She quickly asked "Who is going?  Everyone? Mommy and daddy too?"  Again, we quickly assured her that yes, mommy and daddy were coming too and not going to leave her.  So, even though my girl is getting bigger, I am so grateful for these little reminders that she's little "little-ish" and - at least for now - remains a mamma's girl who wants to stick close to me!)

After presents, we had dinner.  I got some breakfast tacos (Olivia's favorite!)

And for dessert, I made a "frozen yogurt bar" complete with orange sherbert (her fave) + all her favorite toppings.




And, we sang another round of Happy Birthday!

And then, we put our little THREE year old to bed until about 5:00 am on Sunday morning when we were woken up by her screaming "MOMMY!  DADDY!  ITS...MY....BIRTHDAY!!!"  More to come...

1 comment:

  1. Very cute family party photographs!! You know our son also turned 6 on last weekend and we threw a fun pirates themed party at the nearby garden event space San Francisco. Truly, we all had great fun in his pirates birthday bash. It is an unforgettable day for all of us.

    ReplyDelete