Thursday, September 1, 2016

Mini Me & BFFs

While Olivia may not look like me, recent events have caused my parents to recall that her behavior at 4, almost 5 is exactly like mine when I was little.

First, with some of the older kids moving out of daycare and into "real" school, Olivia is now the second oldest kid in her class (and in the school!).  Apparently, the oldest kid is the "leader" of the class.  And, when Olivia's teacher told me this, she referred to it as the "role Olivia was born to play."  She is always ready to help (or kiss up as Mimi would say) and I guess I've been accused of being a kiss-up a time or 2 in my life (mostly by Mimi!).  Also, Olivia has been overheard telling the oldest kid in the class that if she can't get her act together (evidentally she has a bit of a listening issue) then Olivia will just do whatever task has been given to her!  I know I would never taunt someone into doing what I want. ;)

Olivia has also been "exaggerating" the truth a bit (something I may or may not have done from time to time).  It started out as small things...telling her teachers were were traveling out of town when we weren't or telling me that she ate certain things for lunch (donuts or ice cream usually) when I knew she didn't.  But, today really took the cake. I came to work to discover this email from her teacher:


Her dad cut his finger, had to have surgery and ride in an ambulance?!  Okay, last night Matt did cut his finger while opening a can of tennis balls.  We did have to put Neosporin and a bandaid on it.  But, that is where the story ends.  

This sweet, imaginative and creative girl certainly has a flair for the dramatic!  

And...speaking of school, we had a recent and unexpected change where her dear Cate left for a new school.  This has been pretty tough on Olivia but I think it will probably be for the best in the long run.  And both Cate's mom and I are hoping we can keep the girls in touch!  They were able to FaceTime to hear about Cate's first day in her new school and Matt and I loved how "grown up" they were.  They carried on an entire conversation and even had their own inside jokes.  At one point Olivia told Cate she had chicken nuggets for dinner (again, not true) and then Olivia said "I know what you're going to say Cate."  Cate asked what.  Olivia responded "Tell the truth Olivia or I won't be your best friend."  Cate cracks up and says "I was going to say that!"  So even her bff knows that she likes to stretch the truth!  Then Cate said some nonsensical word and Olivia repeated the exact word back and they both cracked themselves up.  It was a lovely little glance into a world of best friends that awaits us!  Having Cate at the school and watching their friendship grow has been one of the very best parts of her experience at Cathedral House.  I am so glad that these 2 found each other and learned early what it means to have a best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment