Thursday, January 18, 2018

Walk This Way and Ice Days

After about 7 long weeks, I am SO happy to say that MATT CAN WALK!  It will be a slow process to full recovery, but we can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and it is such a weight off both our shoulders.

The big day came right in the middle of some bizarre Houston weather - ice.  And lots of it.  School was cancelled for two days and we were both nervous the doctor's office would close too.  But luckily they were opened for that morning and he got in just in the nick of time to get the all clear. 

I hope that we always remember what happened when Matt got home from the doctor.  Eric was napping and Olivia and I were upstairs in her room cleaning up.  She was FaceTiming with Sofie and Minah.  All of a sudden we heard the door open and then Matt came walking up the stairs - no crutches - something we hadn't seen in months.  Olivia immediately handed the phone to me and walked over to him.  She asked "Does it hurt?"  He replied "A little but its okay."  She then paused and cautiously asked him "Can you hold me?"  He said "You want me to pick you up?"  She nodded.  He said "Okay.  I can pick you up" and leaned down to get her.  Once she was in his arms, she just had a huge smile on her face and touched his face as she spoke to him.  I was sort of taken aback by this moment because I hadn't realized how much she missed and needed that physical attention from him.  I don't really pick up Olivia that much anymore - she's getting pretty big and honestly most of the time I am holding Eric.  But, Matt does hold her fairly regularly.  Or at least he did before he got hurt.  And I guess that is something that she likes, that makes her feel safe and I am so happy that they were able to have that moment again.

And then...like most things with those 2, walking turned into a competition.

Olivia was initially thrilled about the ice



But was then sort of disappointed when she realized ice is pretty different than snow (i.e. it doesn't really make a snowman).  Nonetheless, she concocted all sorts of games and experiments to do with the ice.  (I lost at least 3 wooden spoons/spatulas + some food coloring to her imagination).



However, it did actually snow for about 5 minutes and she was lucky enough to be outside when it happened.  The snow immediately melted as soon as it hit the ground, so still no building of any snowmen.

Luckily, mamma was waiting inside with a big cup of nutella hot chocolate to warm/cheer her up.

As for Eric, he was less enthusiastic about the weather and much preferred to be sleeping inside by the fire with his daddy.


It was a weird few days and I think we are all hoping for clear and calm skies during the remainder of 2018!

No comments:

Post a Comment