Friday, January 13, 2012

Fun in the new year!

As we finished the holiday season and started 2012, the fact that my maternity leave was almost up became a grim reality.  SO, rather than sit around and be sad, I decided to plan as many fun things with little Olivia as I could and I promised myself that I would try and cherish each kiss, cuddle and moment with her for the next few weeks. 

2012 started with Matt making a quick trip to Michigan for work.  So, Olivia and I packed up and headed to Humble for a few days to spend some time with my parents.  It was great to have some help from Mimi and GrandDad with the little munchkin.  She enjoyed some tummy time, figured out how to suck her thumb, stole Mimi's chair, and became Aunt Yasmin's new roommate (since her room is the warmest and darkest in the house).





Unfortunately, Olivia's sleep schedule was off from the holidays and she barely slept the entire time we were there (which meant I hardly slept either!).  In fact, the last night we were there was the first time since she's been born that she's ever been in a bad mood.  I think she was overtired and missed Matt (I know I did!), but all she wanted to do was sit on my lap.  Anytime my mom or dad tried to take her, she would start crying.  And, our usually smiley baby barely managed a grin the entire evening.  This was so unlike her that my mother was convinced she was sick and kept feeling her forehead!  I suspected she was just tired, but have to admit I was a little worried too.  Until we picked Matt up from the airport and got home.  The minute he took her out of the car seat and into the house, this is how she looked!  So....no sick baby, just one who missed her daddy!
 


Other than that, we've spent our time having lots of fun and trying new things:

We cheered for the Texans in their first play-off game!


We dressed up like Aunt Yasmin and pretended Olivia was a surgeon.


We tried out a baby laptop.  She's not exactly sure how to make it sing or light up, but when she inadvertently presses one of the buttons, she sure does like it!


We noticed and are now obsessed with the iPhone.  She won't take her eyes off it if one of us is texting or looking something up.  Steve Jobs should be proud!


We went to DefineBaby - a barre/pilates class for moms and babies.  You "wear" the baby in a carrier.  Olivia LOVES music & she LOVES mirrors, so I've thought for months that she'd enjoy the class.  But our schedule never quite matched up with the class time.  Until last week.  And I am SO glad I took her.  She absolutely loved the class!  She kept laughing and smiling the entire time.  I hope we get to go again next week and maybe sometimes once I go back to work we'll be able to sneak in a few classes!  (Excuse the iPhone photo, but it was all I had!)


We also realized that she has outgrown her beloved bouncy chair.  So, Matt set up her Jumperoo.  She wasn't too sure about it the first day, but within a couple of days she figured out how to bounce and now she loves it.  I like to pull it into the kitchen while I'm cooking, turn on some music and she bounces and laughs.

Speaking of music, Michael Buble has been replaced....with Beyonce.  Olivia LOVES her some Single Ladies.  I randomly played it one day and she immediately started smiling.  Its now our go-to trick when she gets upset.  And, she doesn't seem to get tired of her either.  A couple days ago Matt was in the nursery with her when she was sort of fussy, so we turned on Beyonce and she cheered up.  After I saw she was happy, I went to take a shower.  When I got out of the shower, Single Ladies (or "Single Babies" as Matt calls it) was on its 9th time on repeat and she was loving it as much as ever.

We have also been getting outside more since the weather has been warmer.  She is really enjoying facing outwards in the Baby Bjorn.  We also went on a walk in Memorial Park with Aunt Nazreen and she loved it!  So I think we will make it a weekly date (especially if Aunt Nazreen will push the stroller!). 


 

I start back at work on Jan. 23, so I have one more week with her.  My mom (Mimi) is going to watch her for 6 weeks and then she will start at a day care downtown.  I'm so very happy to have my mom watching her.  I think it will be a great transition for me & I know Olivia will be spoiled and well played with while I'm gone. 

Finally, here is a sweet video of Olivia squealing and laughing as I kiss her.  I LOVE it!




No comments:

Post a Comment