Sunday, January 22, 2012

Jumperoo

If you can make it through the long video below (sorry folks!) you will see that our little Olivia has now mastered her Jumperoo.  We still have a pillow at the bottom so her little legs can reach, but given her genes, I'm guessing that being a little shorty is something she will have to get used to!

One realization I had watching this video is that Matt and I may be going a bit overboard with our encouragement of Olivia.  Before she was even born, we made a conscious decision that we really wanted to praise and reward her in order to build her self-confidence.  Matt's parents really did this with him - to this day, I think they honestly believe every thing he does is amazing and every joke he tells is hilarious.  In fact, when we first started dating it was a great source of enjoyment for me to make fun of him about this.  It reminds me of this Seinfeld clip (the whole thing is great - but I'm really talking about 1:48 in). 

I enjoy kidding him, but I really do think its sweet and endearing.  However, we may be taking that to an extreme.  Perhaps every poopy diaper doesn't deserve clapping and "yay-ing"?  Maybe we shouldn't tell her she's "amazing" after she eats? 

So....maybe we'll tone it down a bit.  Its tough though, because at this stage we are truly amazed by every little laugh, smile, coo and noise that she makes and you'd be hard-pressed to convince either of us that she's not perfect! ;)

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about you this week. I hope it was an easy transition for everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete