Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Swim Lessons

Olivia started swim lessons a few weeks ago. I’m still not sure about them…and neither is she! She really likes playing in the pool before & after class, but the actual 30 minutes of class (you know…the part we are paying for!) doesn’t really interest her. She won’t do anything the teacher asks her to and only wants to climb out of the pool or blow bubbles. Jury is still out on whether we will go another month in swim lessons...

Blowing bubbles and playing before class (her favorite part)




 Practicing kicking our feet

The teachers want us to pour water on their heads at the beginning of class to get them "acclimated" to the water.  Olivia absolutely hates it.  I've started just pouring it on the back of her head, but she's still not a fan.  This time I let her pour it on me too....I can see why she doesn't like it!


Any other time, Olivia is glued to my side and wants me next to her at all times...to the exclusion of almost everyone else (except her da-ee!).  However, when we get in the pool, all she wants to do is get out of my arms.  I'm getting a good arm workout trying to hold onto that squirmy, wet little baby!

Here Olivia had just given me a very firm "No!" that even caused her teacher to laugh!
She is not a fan of floating on her back either.  The only way I can get her to do it is to try and make her laugh.  I'm running out of material!
Here we are supposed to practice paddling by throwing a little toy a few feet infront of them, and babies naturally reach for it.  The teachers want us to do this the entire length down and back of the pool.  Olivia is by far the most verbal kid in the class.  So while all the other babies are paddling along and reaching for their toys, Olivia is scolding me with "No throw Mama!" the whole way down!
 The lane dividers were much more interesting than learning to swim...
 Trying to make a break for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment