Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Naughty-Nice

We saw two very different sides of Olivia between last night and this morning.

Last night we were sitting at the table eating dinner and we were asking her about her day at school. She loves talking about her friends and so we often go through the list of her friends at school and she will enthusiastically tell us about them. Last night’s conversation took an unfortunate turn however:

Me: And what about Jack? Did you play with Jack today?
Olivia (putting her hands to her eyes to imitate crying): Jack cry!
Me & Matt: Why? Why did Jack cry?
Olivia: Book!
Matt: What do you mean? Did someone take Jack’s book?
Olivia: Yeah!
Matt (in an almost scared voice): Was it you? Did you take Jack’s book?
Olivia (in a voice that demonstrated she knew she did something wrong): Yeah….
Me & Matt: Olivia! You can’t take other people’s books! We have to be nice to our friends! We have to share, right?
Olivia: Yeah….
(a few seconds of silence while Matt and I think about what to say next)

Olivia: Jack! Cry! Book!

Glad she was able to sum up that event for us!

But then this morning I was eating a bowl of cereal and she walked into the kitchen, sat on the floor, pointed at the floor next to her and instructed me “Sit mama.” I did and she then pointed to the floor again and said “Sit daddy.” She then asked for a bite of my cereal, stood up, walked over to Matt and just kissed him on the lips. He said “What was that for?” She replied “Keeesss!” Matt said “You’re a sweet girl Olivia. I love you.” She looked at him and said in her little baby, singy-songy voice, “I loovee you!”

So, despite the fact that she may be a little book thief at school, looks like our girl has a very sweet side! Only in the past week has she started saying “I love you” back to us -- pretty sure my heart melts every time I hear that little voice repeat those 3 little words!

No comments:

Post a Comment