Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Fun Wednesdays

So, I think like most families, we just seem to schlep through the week just trying to make it to Friday.  The new year got me thinking that our lives might be happier if we had something to look forward to mid-week.  So I tried instituting #weekdayfun into our lives.  Unfortunately, its been a little bit harder than I thought.

My first attempt was a smashing success.  With all the changes and travel at work, Olivia has been spending longer days at day care, which is tough on her. So, I was thrilled when an afternoon meeting ended early and I got to surprise her with an early pick-up. I asked her what fun thing she wanted to do and she immediately requested going to The Aquarium. It was a random Wednesday afternoon, so we basically had the place to ourselves. It was perfect.






We got home in time for dinner with Matt and bedtime.

Unfortunately, our next Fun Wednesday did not go over so well.  I got us tickets for a Rocket's game.  It started at 7:00 (which is usually when we start winding down at Casa Dean) but I figured Olivia would stay up late "for special."  She liked it and seemed to have a lot of fun at the game.




However, she quickly forgot about that fun when she learned on the way home that there would be no books or playing and straight to bed at home.  That was one painful car ride home and the effects of the late night on her sleeping schedule and mood the next day were not completely worth it.  

After some discussion, Matt and I realized that #weekdayfun does not have to be planned, expensive or extravagant.  It just has to be the 3 of us, having fun together, during the week.  We just need an opportunity to forget the deadlines, meetings, laundry, and mounting "to do list" and a chance to relax - even for a few minutes.  To that end, we decided to take advantage of the nice Spring weather that hit Houston and eat dessert outside one night.  Somehow Olivia ended looking like this, running through the sprinkler.  Wasn't planned.  Didn't cost a thing.  But left all of us smiling the next day.  I think we may be on to something & hope we can keep it going!

1 comment:

  1. I love this. It's so easy to forget that expensive big trips don't always translate into the best memories.

    ReplyDelete