Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Not Well

(Once again, I'm behind in blogging, but I am doing my best to catch up..)

We spent the next few weeks of July quarantined at Casa Dean.  Poor little Olivia caught adenovirus and it wreaked havoc on us for a good two weeks.  My Peppa-pig obsessed daughter kept telling us she was "not well" in a the most pathetic little British accent you've ever heard.  (PS - Olivia has taken on a Madonna-esque quality in that she is now slightly British, some of the time.  She will ask me to "ring" Matt on the phone, she loves to "play in the garden," she wants to "post" letters to her friends, and most recently she and Matt were playing grocery store and she told him it would be "50 pounds" - when he told her we use dollars in America, she ran to me tattling that "Daddy is talking nonsense."  So....not sure what to do about that...).

I will spare you all the gory details but this sickness brought with it the worst pink eye we have ever seen (and we are no stranger to pink-eye!), plus “stomach” issues, plus a constant 103/104 fever that really took it out of her.    

We first noticed symptoms of pink eye one day after school, so we went to our local Urgent Care where we were diagnosed with double pink-eye, double ear infection.

We figured (as usual) the meds would kick in and she would be better in about 24 hours.  Not so much.  3 days after she had been on meds, this is how she looked.

And, that night we actually ended up in the ER because I couldn’t get her to stop throwing up long enough to take any medicine to relieve the fever. 


So we spent the next week doing lots of cuddling, art projects and anything else we could think of to make our girl feel better.




Because this was the first time Olivia missed so much school due to sickness, I was in pretty constant contact with the school's director and her teachers trying to figure out if other kids were sick or this virus was going around.  On Friday, after missing a week of school, I got a call from her teacher asking how she was.  Olivia was actually taking a morning nap (something I thought was long extinct, and proved she was still sick) but her teacher said her friends missed her so much they wanted to talk to to her.  So we agreed she would call back later in the afternoon.  Around 4:00 my phone rang and I put it on speaker and told Olivia to say Hi.  When Miss Maria answered hello back, my little one got a HUGE smile on her face and then all of her little friends lined up and took turns telling her hi on the phone.  To me, all the different 3 year old voices sounded the exact same, but Olivia knew each one and responded with "Hello Cate" or "Hello Emma!" and as I watched her (with tears in my eyes), her face turned red and then SHE teared up.  Such a sweet moment and reassurance for Matt/I that we made the right choice in choosing this school to help us on our parent-hood journey! :)

Luckily, it passed and she was back to her old self just in time for a weekend with the Williams girls. Next post coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment