Monday, May 16, 2016

Soccer Shots

Olivia had her end of season soccer "show off" class again where all the parents come watch.  My expectations were not very high because she had previously told me that she liked everything in soccer except where you have to run and kick the ball in the goal.  Soooo.....I was unclear as to what that left for her to like, but I still attended nonetheless.

The first thing the kids did was show off different drills they do to practice various skills (dribbling, shooting, etc).  (Like the previous soccer show and Christmas show, Olivia basically refused to make eye contact with me.  Cate and Emma couldn't stop waving and/or smiling at me.  Not my own daughter though...)



 

They each got a chance to do a trick (she did "pull back") and then kick a goal



 Then it was time for the game.  I am guessing this is the part she doesn't like.  The coaches randomly choose the "jersey" the kids get - either red or green.  As I'm sure you can imagine, Olivia is horrified and offended there is no option for purple.  She also doesn't like it when she is not with Cate and Emma.  Lucky for her today, she was with Cate.  They played 3 against 3.  Olivia, Cate and Tierney were "Team Barbie" (Yes, I just died a little on the inside.  I asked her if she knew who Barbie was.  She said "a pretty girl" and that one of her friends brought a Barbie coloring book to class.)

Luckily, Team Barbie had limited competition in Team Unicorn-Tiger (two other little girls and one boy).  It was cute to see them all trying so hard and running after the ball.  And the best part for me was that O scored 2 goals to win it for her team.  She was SO proud of herself.  I'm not sure this really signifies any great athletic talent, but we were all cheering as if it was the World Cup.

It was a fun morning and I'm glad she left soccer on a high note!

One other story for the memory book - we were driving to school earlier this week and Olivia asked me "Is it hard to be a mother?"  I was so taken aback by this question that I wasn't sure how to answer.  I stammered for a moment and then replied that in some ways it was very easy to be her mother because I loved her so much and I loved taking care of her.  But then I said that it was hard too because I always worry whether she is safe, healthy and happy and if I am taking good care of her.  She paused for a moment, thinking about what I said.  Then she responded "Well....you're a good driver."  So.....not quite sure how to take that one??  I guess I will take it as a compliment on my driving and try to work on the rest?  Crazy little one.


No comments:

Post a Comment