Monday, October 2, 2017

Parent's Night, Ava, Daddy

And a final hodgepodge blog of the happenings at the end of September.

The 26th was Matt's birthday.  Per usual, by the time we got to this date I was pooped and have since admitted to Matt that I know his day wasn't that special but have promised to make it up to him once we aren't so knee-deep in little babes.

We had Parents' Night at Olivia's school on his actual birthday but we still managed to do a cookie cake to celebrate.


Parents' Night was great.  We got to see Olivia's class, learn about the curriculum for this year, chat with a few parents and talk with her teachers.

Her job that week was "Technologist" which means she gets to help with computers/iPads.


She did a self-portrait which she was VERY excited about

About a week after her birthday, I got a shipment notification that her AG Doll would be delivered on Saturday.  To say she was anxious and excited would be the understatement of the century.  Literally at 1:45 I was calling the post office as she was in tears because she knew post office closed at 2:00 and it still had not been delivered.  Just before I yelled at some poor postal worker, the door bell rang and she shrieked with joy.

We quickly unwrapped the box to find Ava.  On the AG website, you can customize EVERYTHING about your doll - hair, skin, earrings, clothes, etc.  Olivia agonized over what to do.   FOR WEEKS.  EVERY DAY.  She was constantly on the iPad asking Matt and which face/hair/nails/clothes etc we thought were good.

But she finally decided to make a girl that looked like her and name her Ava (to coordinate with the other AG dolls - Ella and Willa).  Ava is super cute and Olivia LOVES her.  At 6, I think Olivia knows the dolls are not real but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.  There are several times when she will get mad if I lay down a doll the wrong way or something like that.  And earlier this summer she got FURIOUS at me when I asked her which was her favorite doll in front of all the dolls.

I would say that her Bitty Baby Ella has been her favorite so far.  Ella comes everywhere with us and she can't sleep without Ella.  But since Ava arrived there is a new fave in town.  Now Ava sleeps in the bed with Olivia and Olivia moved one of the baby doll cribs into her room next to her bed and Ella sleeps there (apparently just like Eric sleeps next to me).  Another interesting thing about the babies is that in her mind they are not her kids - they are her sisters.  And Matt and I are the parents.  Once Ava was ordered Olivia told me one day that she finally worked up the courage to tell the other babies that a new AG doll was coming and that some of them were jealous.  So...yeah...not sure she fully agrees that they are just dolls.

Needless to say, watching her unwrap Ava was similar to watching her meet Elsa at Disney.  All the money and planning in the world was worth it to watch her have that moment of joy.  I taped it because Matt wasn't home (and there was no chance she was going to wait any longer to open it) but then I started crying so its not a great video.  But she kept squealing and saying "She's perfect!" and "She's beautiful!"

And the following day, Olivia and daddy (and Ava) went on a special daddy-daughter date to see a play since Matt missed her actual birthday.

And that's a WRAP on August and September.  Doing those blogs was reminiscent of me doing my time some months at work when I wait till the last minute and have to rush to do it.  Like those months at work, I am going to try not to get behind on blogging anymore!  

No comments:

Post a Comment