Friday, March 23, 2012

First Day of School

Well, we made it through our first week of day care!

Last Friday we took Olivia up to "meet her teachers."  Matt and I toured the school when I was pregnant, but we didn't remember too much of it, so we were glad for a refresher as well.

Olivia seemed pretty overwhelmed and just held onto Matt tightly with wide-open eyes.  And...I have to admit that I did the same!  As the teachers were telling me more and more things we'd need to bring and activities Olivia would do, I started to get very nervous about the whole experience.

 Here are a few shots of the pretty girl all ready to meet her teachers:




But we spent all weekend getting together all the supplies she would need and on Monday morning, we were ready!

So, we took a few pictures



                    First day of school!

Had an pre-school dance party to calm our nerves
 

 

And then we headed up to school to drop her off.  Olivia and I both did a bit of crying and I left the school with a huge pit in my stomach and worried if sending her to day care was the right choice.  We called four times that day (I made Matt call once!) and each time the teachers reassured us that she was doing fine, considering it was her first day.

When I went to pick her up, she was passed out asleep but got a huge smile on her face when she realized it was me waking her up.  Love!


 And then, as I packed up her stuff, she smiled and cooed and played with her teachers.  I have never been so happy to see her interact well with someone else!  She genuinely seemed to like them!

When I dropped her off on Tuesday, I watched her from the window after I left the room and it only took a few minutes for her to settle down and stop crying.  We only called three times that day and her teachers said she was having a much better day.  When I went to pick her up on Tuesday she was a sweet, happy baby.

By Wednesday, she was a completely different baby than Monday.  When we walked in the classroom that morning and she saw Miss Lilly, she got a huge smile on her face and put her hands out for Miss Lilly to pick her up.  She sat right next to her and kept trying to hold Miss Lilly's hand.  And...as I was walking out, I saw her giving Miss Lilly kisses.


So, I only called twice on Wednesday and had great relief that this day care situation will work out.

Unfortunately, the biggest peril of daycare  - SICKNESS - hit Olivia early.  She got a bad cold on Wednesday night and was running a fever on Thursday morning.  So she and her daddy got to skip school and hang out together.  Luckily it was only a cold and I think she will be better in a few days.

Overall, we had a great first week at day care and we are very excited about all the things she will learn and friends she will make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment