Thursday, March 15, 2012

Thank You Mimi

 
This week was our last of Mimi watching Olivia and we are all going to miss her!  

Having my mom watch Olivia over these past two months has been such a blessing.  I was able to leave every morning knowing Olivia was in good hands, was able to call and check-in all day without any hesitation, and came home to a sweet and happy baby who was spoiled and loved on all day.   And, if that wasn’t enough, my sweet mother would help with my laundry, cooking dinner, and doing the dishes. 

We know she loves little Olivia so much and took such good care of her.  But, Olivia has really bonded with my mom too – she is always smiling and babbling to my mom and, most evenings, she won’t stop looking at her - that only made me slightly jealous ;)  Before she was even born, Matt and I marveled at what a lucky girl she was to already have so many people loving her and waiting to cultivate relationships with her.  So, while Olivia may not remember these past 8 weeks, I know that the bond she & Mimi formed will last a lifetime and I’m so very happy for that. 

And for me, this was the first time since law school that I’ve really spent this much time with my mom and I really enjoyed that opportunity.  I was glad for my mom to live in my house and get a glimpse into the home life that Matt and I have created.  In many ways, it’s identical to the home that my parents created for my sisters and I growing up.  When I look to the future and think about the kind of home that we want Olivia to grow up in and the kind of mother that I want to be, I see myself following the example that my mom set for me – she cooked dinner every night and we sat and ate as a family; she and my dad shared responsibilities for bath, homework, playtime before bed; she always did (and still does!) little things for birthdays and holidays that let us know she loved us and we were special; and she now is as close to my sisters and I as anyone.  We all speak to her at least once a day and she knows us inside and out! 

Over the past few months I’ve really seen her be completely selfless and put her children ahead of her own wants/desires and I am so very grateful to have a mom that will do that.  I hope that I’m that selfless and giving of a mom to Olivia – that I’m the first person she wants to call when something good (or bad) happens, that she knows I love her more than anything in the world and that I have her best interest at heart; and that she can always come to me for help with anything.  That’s the way I feel about my mom and I know Olivia will be lucky if I can manage to come close to that.

So, here’s to my amazing mom and the wonderful blessing she has been to us!  Matt and I are still figuring out how to maneuver through this maze of parenthood, but with the example she has set and the help she provides, it has made things so much easier.  I love you very much mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment