Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Kids Say The Darndest Things

This post is mostly for the memory book to record 2 cute exchanges we recently had with Olivia.

1.  Bedtime antics -- So....while we initially were so pleased with Olivia's easy transition into a "big girl bed" it seems like she was just getting our hopes just high enough to crush them!  For several weeks now we have been really struggling with keeping her in her room at night.  One of our many different efforts to keep her in there, was to take away her baby dolls.  Olivia sleeps with approximately 10 dolls so we told her that each time she came out, we were going to take 1 of them away.  The first night, this worked like a charm.  She started to come out one time, we saw her on the monitor and warned her that if she opened the door, Baby Pax would be sleeping with us and she immediately ran back into bed and went to sleep.  The next night she got a little bolder and came out.  We took away Pax.  But, like the suckers we are, we gave it back after about 20 minutes of the most sad little cries you ever did hear!  But, she did stay in her room that night.  Well, flash forward a few nights and instead of her crying when we took away the doll, she helped us by handing us everything in her bed!  This is the conversation I heard/saw over the monitor:

Matt -- Okay Olivia you came out of your room.  Give me Pax please.
Olivia -- Okay daddy.  Here.  Oh and take this baby too (as she proceeds to name each baby and hands it to Matt).  And you forgot my blankies daddy.  And you forgot my pillow daddy.  Okay daddy?

Matt walked out of the room with a confused look and full hands.  Huh.  At that point, we decided to admit defeat. 

Note: the situation has currently been resolved by way of a child-proof lock on her side of the door.  I said I wouldn't do it.  I judged those who did (I'm looking at you dad!).  But at the end of the day, I gave in and did it.  Don't judge me.  Or at least wait until you have your own little night owl!  And...don't worry....we unlock it the minute we see her fall asleep on the monitor, so as to not have any safety issues at night!  And frankly, she now assumes it is locked so we actually don't have to lock it anymore really.

2.  Body image -- I guess body image is all relative.  I came home the other morning after an early workout and Matt was asking me about the new instructor.  I said she was good and that she had "awesome arms."  Olivia looked at me incredulously and said "She had purple arms?!" 

3.  Sucka!  Forgive my statement of the obvious, but Matt has what some might call a "competitive" side.  And, this tendency seems to have rubbed off on Olivia.  The other day she and I met some friends at the park.  She and her friend were both sliding on 2 slides next to each other and the other mom suggested they go down at the same time.  Challenge accepted.  Olivia sprinted to the slide, flew down as fast as she could, jumped off and looked at her friend and said "I beat you!"  Super awkward.  She has also taken to repeating a phrase that Matt apparently says a lot: "see ya sucka!"  She calls Matt "sucka" a lot.  Sometime in the right context (I ate all your quesadilla, you sucka!).  Sometimes not (Goodbye daddy sucka.  I love you!).  Its half weird/half cute to hear that phrase come out of a little 2 year old mouth.....I'm still not sure what to think. 

And....because you sat through those stories, a few recent pictures.

We recently went out to support Aunt Naz at an event she was working with MD Anderson where about 200 bike riders did a spin class on the lawn to raise money.  Olivia was SO happy to see Aunt Naz and meet her "friends" (co-workers) and "teacher" (boss); and she loved the music and watching the spin class.



We also converted her toddler bed into a full size bed.  I can't get over how tiny she looks in that big bed. 

It was delivered last Saturday while she and I were at ballet.  When we got home, Matt had put all the sheets on it and she was thrilled.  She immediately jumped into bed and got under the covers.  I jokingly asked her if she liked her new bed or wanted to go back to the toddler bed.  She whispered "I LOVE it!" 

But that night she got a little hesitant and cried before bed that she was afraid she was going to fall out.  Luckily, my friend Lisa tipped me off to a secret of putting pool noodles under the fitted sheet.  They work like a charm and kept her safe all night!

No comments:

Post a Comment