Thursday, May 8, 2014

Egg-cellent Easter

Olivia was all about Easter this year and enjoyed several opportunities to hunt for eggs.

The first was our neighborhood egg hunt. She was in love with the bouncy house and very particular about which eggs she chose – carefully choosing to ensure an assortment of all the colors!










On Thursday, Olivia had a her Easter parade at school. Her class theme was “bunnies.”  The weather was rainy the morning of the parade, so I mentioned to her on the way to school that it may get cancelled.  She almost cried so I quickly changed the subject.  I had an early meeting at work and kept checking phone for a weather update/text from her school saying the parade had been cancelled.  Despite a crazy work schedule, I made good on my promise and tore myself away from work, parked illegally and ran a block and a half in high heels to make it to the parade.  I quickly grabbed a spot on the lawn just before the festivities started.  When I saw her little face in that silly mask just BEAMING to see me, I was so thankful that I was there.  She just kept yelling "Hi mommy!  Hi mommy!" and waving.  Olivia's school loves a parade -- they have parades for EVERY holiday and usually Olivia goes AWOL as soon as she sees Matt or I.  But, not this time -- she kept walking with her friends, but ordered me "Mommy!  Meet me in my room.  Okay?!"


As last year, we had such a nice Good Friday. Both Matt and I were off work and the weather was beautiful! We headed to the Mall that morning to meet the Easter Bunny. I didn’t have very high expectations, given her fear of Santa Claus. But, our girl totally surprised me! She was super excited to see him. The line was pretty long but I kept taking her up to the front and she would wave to E. Bunny. Once it was our turn, she turned into such a little ham for her “practice shot.”

But, once we went around the corner to see the big Bunny, her nerves kicked in and she got a little worried. She agreed to sit with him and smiled for about 10 seconds so that we could get the picture and then worriedly looked at me, held her arms up, and nervously said “Mommy??” I quickly picked her up and there were no tears.
Post-nap, we spent the afternoon outside searching for cascarones, playing with the sprinkler/water table, and enjoying popsicles and other “refreshing beverages” ;) and then headed to Lupe for dinner.











Then on Saturday we headed to Blessington Farms. This is a great gem just outside of Houston. We picked strawberries, hunted for eggs, rode the train, and Olivia enjoyed her first funnel cake. In typical Olivia fashion, she was initially skeptical about the new food. Matt and I urged her to try it with our now signature line: “If you try it, you might like it!” She did and SHOCKINGLY she loved it! ;) She enthusiastically told me “Oh mommy. I like it! I do like it!” Yeah kid – I know. Fried dough with powdered sugar is generally a crowd-pleaser.
















However, as my child was sitting there in the beautiful weather, eating her funnel cake, she suddenly got a worried look on her face and said “Mommy. I want to go home.” I asked her why and she responded “I miss my babies.” Matt and I just had to shake our heads and tell her that we should probably play a little more at the farm (since we drove AN HOUR to get there) and then we could go home to find the babies.


We woke up Sunday morning to find that E.B. had visited in the middle of the night and left lots of eggs for Olivia. E.B. may have to get better at hiding the eggs next year because she quickly found all of them and devoured the contents of the eggs before Matt/I could intervene!


Sweet Bunny also left her plenty of goodies in her basket.


Finally….I wanted to record a few of her latest sayings for the memory book:
1. I have an idea – she is constantly telling us “Oh. I have an idea.” And the “idea” almost always involves her getting some sort of treat. “Oh I have an idea. We can go to HEB and get some popsicles.” or “Oh I have an idea. We could play for 10 more minutes and then take a bath.”

2. Actually – I wish I could get her on tape saying this. She says “actually” in the right context with this tone and look that is the way a 30 year old would say it! Pretty cute.

3. Copy cat – Olivia thinks it is hilarious to mimic what Matt and I say when we are talking to other people. The other day I was on the phone ordering a pizza and she started repeating everything I said. I could barely order because I was laughing and the poor girl taking my order kept laughing and asking me to repeat the order/credit card number because she was hearing it twice.

4. More You Tube – I think I’ve mentioned before that Olivia loves the weirdest You Tube videos. One of her latest obsessions is this video of 2 little kids fighting over a car, this video of a baby falling into a pool and swimming to the top, and my personal favorite….Robin Sparkles “Let’s Go To The Mall.” Matt and I are HUGE HIMYM fans and as we were heading to the Mall to meet E.Bunny, both of us sang the song in unison. Olivia died laughing and asked us to sing it again. So I decided to show her the video. Instant love. I was getting ready this morning and she had the iPad and just played that video over and over again. The best part is that Olivia doesn’t love it in the ironic way that it is intended. She loves it as if it was a masterful, lyrical, musical wonder and for the pure genius that is Robin Sparkles.

5.  Perfect - The other night we were lucky enough to get a surprise visit from Aunt Jill who was in town for work.  Before she arrived I was settling up the house a little while Olivia was playing in the living room.  She asked me what I was doing and I answered that I was just putting some dishes away. She said "Oh.  You're just cleaning up a little before Aunt Jill gets here?"  I said yes.  She responded "Oh mommy. You're so perfect!"  I mean....come on!!!  How is anyone supposed to handle that cuteness??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment