Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Toddler 2

Olivia moved up to the next class at her school -- Toddler 2. This was a great transition for her -- no tears at all! She has a good group of girl friends in this class that have all moved up over the past few months, so I think that made the move a little easier.

This is Cate, Olivia's best friend.  I cannot handle the cuteness of this picture and hope that these girls are friends forever! 



Apparently this class really marks a transition from "baby" to "big girl" so we had our first parent-teacher conference at the end of the week. It was so great! We loved hearing about all the things Olivia will learn in this class and it definitely confirmed to us that this school was the right choice for us. It was also fun to hear stories about Olivia's first few weeks in this class. She is obviously pretty comfortable because the stories we heard were "classic Olivia." The teacher relayed to us that Olivia is curious and eager to learn. She's doing very well on math and letters. They are going to work on handwriting in this class and science. They said she is a good friend to everyone and, much to my delight, does not just run around with the girls. Apparently she will jump and play with the boys at recess too!

In this class, all the kids have "jobs" every week. The kids get to pick what job they want. This week Olivia was the line leader. (One constant joke at the Mehta house is about how I used to love to be the line-leader at school and was caught leading the line by my parents one day when they happened to be at my elementary school. The fact that my daughter picked line leader as her first job gave my own mother a great deal of joy/embarrassment!)

We have also noticed that in this class Olivia seems to have perked up to the fact that there are a few older boys in the class that she apparently likes.  On the second day in this class, Matt picked up Olivia and as they were driving home she asked him if he knew "Wyann".  He asked "Brian?"  No.  "Ryan?"  No.  He spent the entire way home guessing what name she was trying to say.  He finally guessed Wyatt and she said yes.  But neither of us had ever heard of a little boy named Wyatt so we assumed we were wrong.  Until the next morning.  I took her to school and when we got there I saw a little boy named Luke who has been in her class since she was a baby but who she has no interest in.  But, since it was her first week in the class I figured she would want a familiar face.  She said no and pointed to a table with another little boy who I did not recognize.  She went and sat down with him and I asked who that was.  She answered "Wyann."  WYATT?!!  I quickly asked her teacher about him and apparently Wyatt is about 8 months older than her and, according to her teacher, the "most popular boy" in her class.  I was sort of impressed that she so quickly found the most popular boy.  Matt was not.  ;)

The next week I was taking her home and she asked me if I knew Blake.  Again, another little boy I had never heard of.  I said no and asked who he was.  She answered: "He's a boy.  He lives with us in Toddler 2.  Mommy, can you ask his mommy if Blake is potty trained?"  Olivia often asks these days who is and is not potty trained.  I guess that is the newest thing in Toddler 2?

On a personal note, I was so proud of my girl and the ease with which she transitioned. She typically has had a hard time with transitions and I can understand the feeling! I know she was excited to move up to see her friends, but I also know that change is hard and that she was very comfortable in her old class. Also they usually transition kids in pairs (or more) so that they go to the new class with a friend. But, Olivia made this transition alone. I could tell she was nervous at the beginning of the week when I dropped her off, but she was very brave and poised. She was able to verbalize that she was worried and we talked about it. She is getting so big and we couldn't be more excited to see how much she grows in this class!

No comments:

Post a Comment